Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Pay Attention, Man!

Our Ronnie Dale has been such an outdoor fellow since he retired. In all our married years, forty-two so far, he hibernated indoors because of his allergies and asthma, and I did all the outdoor work which was absolutely fine with me. I loved mowing and gardening. Now, in our retirement, I'm no longer physically able to do the work, and his asthma seems to be history and his allergies seem to be better. Wouldn't you know that God would work that out for us?

We have a huge deck at the back of the house, complete with screen room, and it has needed some attention. Tired of the treatment oils that didn't seem to be working, (I really don't know what they call that stuff), we decided that painting it would be just the thing. We picked out some very good paint, two colors, one for the rails and one for the deck and benches. The Spring rains finally stopped, and we were ready to begin. Hubby and I spent the first day successfully doing much of the tedious work of painting the rails. There are a lot of rails.

So, bless his heart, Ronnie Dale went out to continue the painting process on the deck yesterday. He got quite a bit done on the railing right outside the kitchen window. He was out there quite a while, and I had things inside to do. He really likes to paint, and I knew it would be good therapy for him out there by himself. When he came through the back door he was muttering and I thought I saw smoke coming out of his ears. 

"Have you been painting?" I had to ask something, and that's all I could think of to say. 

"Yes," he said with disappointment. "But the result was a little disappointing when I stepped back to take a look."

When he explained what he meant we both had a good laugh. But the scene we saw this morning was even funnier.

You see, just last week he had finished painting our guest room. When Ronnie Dale grabbed a paint can from the garage to paint the deck rails he did what he always does, he didn't read the label. And this morning, with the new day's sun shining on it, we had to laugh to see the pretty BLUE railing. He's not color blind. He just wasn't paying attention.

🤣

No comments:

Post a Comment